Friday, March 18, 2016

I'm a homeschool mom again!

Have you ever noticed the Lord's sense of humor? He has one, you know. I probably mentioned that I lost my love of homeschooling these last three or four years - the last two I mostly hated it and did a pretty terrible job. My poor self-educated children can attest to that. Well, I decided after much prayer, thought, gnashing of teeth, and rending of garments to put my kids into school. We have a wonderful private school here locally that I love and where I know a good many people. The cost is high so this decision required me to go back and get re-certified to teach public school. I began that process because I was going back to work and I was putting my kids in school. There. It was finally decided after two years of indecision and angst.

THE VERY NIGHT after I made that decision for once and for all, I attended a get together of homeschooling moms. I was acquainted with one and the others I had never met. Odd meeting for me to attend the evening after I announced to the world I was punting homeschooling forever and changing the entire dynamic of my world and my identity for the last twenty years, right? Well, the curriculum company I have used for the last 18ish years had a representative coming through town that I had up to that point only met and talked to online. I was excited to meet her face to face so when I found out about the meeting I decided to go - but not say, "Hey, nice to finally meet you. Yeah, I love your materials and I've used them exclusively for nearly two decades but I'm tossing it aside and I don't want to do this homeschooling gig anymore, mkay?"

The meeting was great fun and the ladies were phenomenal (as are all homeschooling moms, fyi) and one of them said she sure wished there was a co-op using our curriculum for her kids. Another said the same thing. I said I had been looking for such a co-op for four years. I have NEEDED such a co-op, especially for the last two years. One discussion led to another and just like that a co-op was born! It will provide the very things I have wished for and prayed for and needed to make me homeschool-whole again! There will be sciences with labs and upper level maths and P.E. (Noah's personal favorite). And I have the fellowship of homeschool moms again! All my long time homeschool mom friends aren't around anymore. (*an odd thing happens when your oldest is 26 and your youngest is 4... your original homeschooling mom friends graduate all their children and you are the elderly grandma in a room of homeschool moms the age of your oldest daughters. Good times.)

In the course of a few hours the Lord answered all my prayers, prayers I prayed for years. He let me get all the way to the end of myself when I had nothing left so I gave up homeschooling. But just like that, He gave it back to me.

I love how He works.

No comments:

Post a Comment